< BACK TO HOME

031320

Description

This 6’6” wooden structure represents the death that covid has caused in Michigan this year. The glass beads represent IV needles, beautiful and shimmering in the light. But it is meant to serve as a memorial and a reminder. The trauma we have all shared has changed everything and this piece forces us to stare in the face of it. The audio is an edited news broadcast from the first days of COVID in the US.

Biography

I am currently a junior studying apparel and textile design. I have always been interested in art and design ever since I was a little. I’ve been fortunate enough to travel all over the world and from that I feel like I’ve gained these different creative perspectives that I’m able to apply to my work. My biggest inspiration for me has always been my mother. She’s this very powerful Welsh woman and growing up seeing her and her confidence, beauty, and strength really solidified in my mind this idea of feminine power. This beauty and this strength, this combination of the good and the dark just comes together to create something beautiful and inspiring and I really try to reflect that in my work. 

Reflection

i:

This piece wouldn’t have been possible without this microgrant. First off, money-wise, there’s no way I would have been able to afford it myself. And second, having that deadline along with the validation that people wanted to see my ideas come to fruition really pushed me to to work on it consistently. I pushed myself incredibly hard for this and I think while I can do that on my own, having a microgrant really kept me going.

ii:

Creating throughout COVID has really changed the way I approach my work. The boredom really unlocked the creativity in my mind, but I also went through some pretty severe burnout. The way that I approach a plan to create something and the intentions behind it have all changed, along with everything else in the world. Whereas before I would create things simply to do it, now I have this intention and motivation to say something with my work. In some ways COVID stunted my artistic abilities, but in other ways it completely change the way I view my art for the better. I know, personally, I am always very interested in seeing the work people have produced both during and after COVID.

iii:

I definitely think that other CAL students would benefit from this kind of financial support in the future. Between supplies, books, tuition, etc… it can be really hard to find the funds to create our own work. So having this opportunity to get your work recognized and funded is incredibly important for the artistic status of the students. It can provide a bit of a glimpse at the future of their artistic careers and give them the space to create something that feels true to their vision. Rather than having to create something within very specific parameters for a class. Also, since the microgrant is open to so many different mediums it can give students the chance to explore something outside of their comfort zone.