< BACK TO HOME

Title

Floral Repeat

Biography

My work is divided into two disciplines–– art and design. My artwork serves as the megaphone, exposing the inner-workings of a toxic capitalist system–– expressed through visually dynamic and unfiltered messaging. My focus in design, however, explores the tangible, product-based solutions that promote a more sustainable future for our planet. 

Description

The digital illustration was developed using Adobe Illustrator and the finished textile was printed on canvas. The work reinterprets COVID-19 as nature’s retaliation to human-led climate change. In this half-drop textile repeat, a series of helpless flowers melt as global temperatures rise–– reflecting the natural worlds’ degradation at the expense of human negligence. 

Content alerts and warnings

The only potential concern is the use of what’s considered to be an ‘obscene gesture’ (use of the middle finger). It’s used appropriately given the context, however could pose an age-related concern. e.

Reflection

Receiving the Microgrant has helped me complete my project by providing the funds to print the digital textile print on fabric and provide the materials to sew the pillowcase, table cloth and tote bag. The pandemic served as a reminder of how delicate we are as humans. Furthermore, how our respect for people around us (by wearing masks and quarantining) can determine the fate of our survival. I definitely support the idea of continuing this program for future CAL students. The financial support is very much needed and appreciated (especially during the pandemic). Beyond taking care of daily needs, it also provides students with the opportunity to explore their artististic ideas, and encourages creativity and experimentation. On top of costs of materials needed for art class, the money can be used to purchase materials/tools that would otherwise be inaccessible for a student.