< BACK TO HOME

It Was a Time of Great Contradiction

Oil on Canvas

Description

It Was a Time of Great Contradiction explores the spaces we inhabited during the pandemic. Many of us returned to our childhood homes to quarantine. As the world was entering a state of uncertainty, our once recognizable space became constricting and foreign. Our sense of self and what it means to exist inside of a body morphed into something new, echoing the constant change and evolution of the COVID – 19 virus. In this arrival to an altered world, we had to mold ourselves into other forms of being and find solitude amongst unpredictability.

Reflection

Receiving the microgrant helped me complete my project immensely. I paint on a very large scale, so therefore I go through materials quickly. Having the extra funds to put towards supplies helped me invest in a roll of good quality canvas as well as oil paint and new brushes. Through the process of creating through COVID, the main thing I have learned is how important having a community of creative people around you is. Being back in studio classes the past few semesters has allowed my work to flourish in a way that I could have never predicted. During quarantine it was hard to view other artworks and talk to other artists in person on a regular basis, and I missed it a lot. Seeing my friends and bouncing ideas off of each other everyday has pushed me out of so many boundaries with my work that I never even knew I had. The community I feel with my fellow studio mates is indescribable. They truly are my best friends. I definitely think other CAL students would benefit from the microgrant in the future. It made it possible to try new things with my work that I wouldn’t have been able to do before out of fear of wasting material. Having the financial freedom to purchase whatever I needed helped me open up to new ideas and methods of making. I am really thankful to have been selected for this grant.